Pennoni & Mushroom Sauce
Nothing groundbreaking here but a quick and easy meal to make on a week night or when people are coming round and you’ve clearly failed to prepare properly.
As really and honestly did not happen to me recently.
So with a quick dash round the local shops the ingredients were gathered and the dish knocked up inside of 30 minutes.
Butter (about 25g)
1 Onion finely chopped
3 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
Approx 100g pancetta cut into 1cm dice
250g Mushrooms finely sliced (whatever you fancy – I used mini Portobello)
5 tbsp double cream
Salt & pepper
500g Pennoni - cooked in salted boiling water
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley and same of freshly grated parmesan to serve
- Sweat onions, garlic and thyme slowly on medium/low heat until softened
- Turn heat up and add the pancetta – cook through, stirring continuously
- Turn heat down and add mushrooms
- When the mushrooms are cooked through add the cream and allow the sauce to thicken
- Season to taste
- Mix sauce with cooked and drained Pennoni
- Serve with garlic bread and garnish with parsley and/or parmesan
Serves four for a good “me” sized portion.
I’m a big fan of putting it in a large serving dish and letting people tuck in. If serving for vegetarians just leave the pancetta out – oh and the parmesan if it’s not a veggie friendly variety.